At COMPUTEX TAIPEI 2013, Western Digital (WD) announced that it is shipping the world’s thinnest 1 TB hard drive with its new 2.5-inch WD Blue 7 mm hard drive.
The WD Blue hard drive family is available in capacities from 320 GB to 1 TB in the 7 mm height, also compatible with the industry-standard 9.5 mm drive slots of mainstream notebooks.
Features of the WD Blue 7 mm hard drives include:
- Shock Tolerance – WD’s ShockGuard technology protects the drive mechanics and platter surfaces from shocks.
- Cool and quiet – WD’s exclusive WhisperDrive technology enables quiet performance.
- StableTrac – The motor shaft is secured at both ends to compensate for system-induced vibration and stabilize platters for accurate tracking during read and write operations which enables consistently higher performance.
- Dual Stage Actuators – Leveraged from enterprise-class drives, dual stage actuators utilize two actuators to improve positional accuracy over the data track(s). The primary actuator provides coarse displacement using conventional electromagnetic actuator principles. The secondary actuator uses piezoelectric motion to fine tune the head positioning to a higher degree of accuracy.
- Reliable – WD’s SecurePark parks the recording heads off the disk surface during spin up, spin down, and when the drive is off. This ensures the recording head never touches the disk surface resulting in improved long term reliability due to less head wear, and improved non-operational shock tolerance.
- Compatibility Tested – WD performs tests on hundreds of systems and a multitude of platforms in its FIT Lab and Mobile Compatibility Lab to give customers confidence that drives will work in specific systems.
Shipping now through select distributors and resellers, the new 1 TB WD Blue 7 mm 2.5-inch mobile hard drive is covered by a two-year limited warranty. The recommended retail price for the 1 TB model (WD10SPCXX) is RM 449.