[REPLY TO ALL] keyboard pressed…. “Congratulations to YB Gobind. We must be in sync with the tune of the wise Tun M, which is to follow the rule of law. We must now put the dirty linens out to dry in public for the sake of our agenda towards reformasi. This cannot be done without you, my learned YB Gobind. As your dad lauded “Singh is King”, we must ensure all the traces of power abuse and political affiliation within MCMC are removed. Those rent-seeking, power craving, sanctimonious and bumptious chiefs MUST be investigated and held accountable! More so, after Jeff Ooi’s thoughtful insights and mysterious scamboy’s exposé. Let this article speak the truth for the rank and file, industry players and ex staff.” (The poor boy was goaded by the old man.)
To purify MCMC of its cancers, we MUST dive deep into the skeletons within the cupboards, but, as you would know, two centuries of silenced black marks cannot be summarily thrashed out in one single A4 sheet. Here are some well known (or rather public) secrets:-
- Distribution of Netbook 1Malaysia (latest directive from the mighty the-then-ex-but-now-PM) back then around the year 2015 under the then Machiavellian minister. The then YB instructed for the allusive Universal Service Provision (USP) funds to be spent on the distribution of sub-par netbooks at an inflated price and for the distribution to be carried out by a crony vendor. The USP regulatory regime now ought be metamorphosed into a pragmatic center under the Commission, as a trustee, with the advancement of technology to ensure the hundreds of millions within the USP fund is spent prudently on building infrastructure in underserved areas and not on devious electronic devices. It would be highly recommended for YB to review MCMC’s USP activities before political refugees cling on your legs and kiss your hands to beg for projects. Ensure every sen under the USP fund is prudently accounted for. With MCMC licensees having to contribute 6% of their weighted net revenue to the USP fund anually (In 2015, the income of the USP fund was reported at RM1.79billion. A fund worthy enough to be at par with the infamous 1MDB), it would not be a surprise if the large fund was seen as a personal piggybank to the corrupt few. A report on this matter should be published to restore the confidence and trust of MCMC.
- Other non-Netbook- USP projects. It was a well-known fact that numerous bogus dormant crony companies linked with the previous ruling party were graciously awarded USP projects. The then licensing department was grappling between succumbing to the “wahyu” direct from the then Minister or current Chiefs and the little tiny conscience that flickered at the bottom of their hearts. All these USP projects – some of which, have been dragged in prolonged period due to lack of political will and undue interference from the royal families in the states. The servile Commission kowtow-ed to the political masters and royalties, and were complicit in delaying the roll out of broadband services in those kampongs, serene woods and isolated islands. Some of these were carried out by pulling the cart before the horse. An immediate review on all awarded USP projects is necessary to ensure politically-linked cronies to be striked through forever and ever from the tender book.
- Scandalous direct awards by the then MCMC Chairman to certain companies. Wee Choo Keong has weaved the story line in chronological order with questions to be answered in a crystal clear story line that no single concerned person should ever miss.1Because of the reported data breach of 46.2 millions of telco subscibers, Nuemera was then put under spotlight and is now waiting anxiously in the court of laws to face the judgment with MCMC trying to shield out the attacks via the contract terms with Nuemera. YB, the Nuemera’s case is just tip of the iceberg. We plead and seek your wisdom to ensure a comprehensive review on all past contracts through “direct negotiation / award” to map out the culprits holding the smoking guns in MCMC whom have condoned to such unscrupulous practices. An independent ad-hoc inquiry panel should be set up by the industry players and concerned civil society to enquire and flip through all the balance sheet and agreements. [The wise old man now whispered to the Chiefs, “display your integrity and honor, raise your white flag, leave the gauntlet of powers with integrity, heads held high, striding the walk of atonement like Cersei Lannister as the auspicious carps beside the grand exit may look up to you finally…]
- Incessant political prosecution against persons who were against the then ruling BN government. MCMC has fascinated the public by indulging in catching the hyper low-hanging fruit in order to protect their BIG BIG BOSS, high up there. The victims were the artists, fishermen, teachers, farmers who criticized the government or their policies by using seemingly unpleasant phrases. Let us not forget the silencing of media outlets such as Malaysiakini, BFM and Astro who were constantly harassed by the egregious Commission for touching the ultra-hypersensitivity of the society. The voice of reason, discussions, civil dissents were silenced with short notice in the last minute upon receiving direct commands from the higher ups. The burning question is whether the infamous 211 and 233 of CMA should be remained as a political tool to colonize the thoughts of the fragile minds? Should we review to compensate the freedom of speech that was lost and celebrate it as enshrined under our sui generisfounding constitution with restriction to be limited as much as possible?
- Internal politicking and random, arbitrary appointment of senior management officers / Chiefs / COO / CEO /commission members. A lost warrior in the political battle should not be compensated with a consolation prize by sitting in the management office. The ostensible technocrat should not be appointed as the Chief and as the commissioner at the same time. The appointment of KSN’s beloved darling as a commission member has raised the eyebrows of all senior managers as the honorable holy one has nothing to offer to the policy direction of the industry but to add fuel to the fire in the meeting. Astonishing enough, the darling was surreptitiously removed and moved to other agency on the days before the national Armageddon. The fight between sweet talker Dukun – Sofia Jane against the then super able learned botak has now continued between SJ and “Don’t surprise” man who happened to be the one signing off the instruction to block live.undi.info, Sarawak Report and Medium. 2The u-turn story covered up by this politician was insulting every single brain synapse of Malaysians everywhere. Why should the, once-flourishing, converged industry, be hauled by these politickings? The best German shepherd should be released to the wilderness to howl for him/herself. HOWEVER, before they are released, we must hold their leashes of accountability, trust, duty of care to face the judgment for their abuses of powers. 3 Please replace them with technocrats and not Oscar award-winning actors and actresses.
- Of course, there are so many more inappropriateness at senior levels demonstrated by MCMC to justify this and that. Secret yet not so secret examples: centuries old, yet unresolved, monopolization of TM, high price of broadband services, volte-face on Nationwide Fiberisation Plan, spectrum allocations, abuse of regulatory power to coerce licensees to provide questionable donations, unnecessary wastage on counterproductive programs (e.g. KL converge, Sebenarnya.my, KDB, workshops, conferences, etc.) Just ask around the industry players and MCMC folks, how effective the then MCMC was and how “effective” the Commission is now after being swayed by so many. Of course, we must also admit not all apples are rotten. Some working class staffs as in the Heads of Ds have done with professionalism and wisdom to wade through the political tides. YB Gobind, you will need to talk to them ONE by ONE to find out. It’s tough, but we must do this to champion once the proud convergence piece of communications and multimedia legislation in the world.
In the Part 2, we will propose to you, YB, some proposals on how to deal with these culprits.
- See all the links in relation to direct awards:-
- Some insiders’ gossips:-