Welcome back to Lady Bits, our feminist newsletter that makes everyone mad <3
Sorry we’re late this month… we had women stuff to do.
We have a new feature! Each month, our gloriously talented designer, Saïna, will illustrate one of the many shitty replies, comments, or tweets we receive from one of TNW’s misogynistic readers. Here’s this month’s featured comment:
So Saïna made this:
Muahaha! Onto the news…
the bloody news
- The repulsive app that generated nudes from photos of clothed women was shut down, but it still managed to do some damage.
- A secret US Border Patrol hate group has been exposed on Facebook. The group included xenophobic and sexist messages and comments, some of which targeted US Representative Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez.
- Vice wrote about how this year’s World Cup should drive a lasting interest in women’s football. (Or soccer, if you’re an American neophyte.)
Beyoncé looking at her competition… pic.twitter.com/JRng6cQz1M
— Kalen Allen (@TheKalenAllen) July 2, 2019
- Gaming company, Razer, dropped streamer for tweeting ‘men are trash’ in response to sexual harassment.
- Virginia outlawed deepfakes in its efforts to curb revenge porn.
- The female-founded podcast network, Earios, released its first shows this week. Get ready for women-hosted podcasts on hobbies, beauty and wellness for women of color and immigrants, and weird internet things.
- NY1’s anchorwoman Roma Torre spoke to Fast Company about how she was the face of NYC news for 27 years — but now she’s being pushed aside because she’s a 61-year-old woman.
- An Alabama woman was charged with manslaughter after someone shot her in the abdomen, killing her baby. Yeah, you read that right. The New York Times reported the charges against her were finally dropped.
- Boobies for a good cause: Naked protestors redress Facebook’s prude and sexist nudity policy.
- Mosaic reported…