Eyes on Sony’s CLED (Crystal LED) display technology: Samsung isn’t the only player in the Micro LED game

TechHive received its first have a look at Micro LED know-how when Samsung demoed their model at CES in January, 2018. Last week, Sony Pictures invited me to attend a screening of Men in Black: International at one among the screening rooms in the Jimmy Stewart Building positioned on the studio’s predominant lot in Culver City, CA. That was cool sufficient, however after I discovered that the screening can be offered on Sony’s CLED (Crystal LED) display in excessive dynamic vary, I received way more excited.

Slightly background on Sony’s Crystal LED

CLED is Sony’s model of a Micro LED display. The fundamental precept is sort of easy: Each pixel is fashioned by a cluster of three tiny LEDs—pink, inexperienced, and blue. Thus, Micro LED is an emissive display know-how like OLED. But Micro LED can get a lot brighter than OLED, making it very best for reproducing HDR pictures.

In addition to very excessive brightness, Micro LED can obtain super-deep black ranges, as a result of the LEDs will be individually and instantaneously dimmed or turned off as wanted. The Sony CLED goes even additional, putting the LEDs for every pixel at the middle of a black cell. In reality, the three LEDs collectively measure a mere 0.003 sq. millimeters in space and occupy only 1 % of the space of every cell—the different 99 % is pure black. In addition to producing nice blacks, this design minimizes reflections of ambient gentle and in addition offers a really broad viewing angle.


The precise LEDs in a Sony CLED panel occupy only 1 % of every pixel’s space; the remaining 99 % is pure black.

The finish result’s a claimed distinction ratio of greater than 1,000,000:1, with a peak brightness of 1,000 nits. Even extra spectacular, the complete display screen can emit 1,000 nits, not like nearly all different forms of shows, which scale back the quantity of sunshine they emit as extra of the display screen is requested to supply most gentle output.

Regarding shade, the Sony CLED claims to breed 140 % of sRGB, which is roughly 100 % of DCI/P3. It additionally helps 10-bit shade and body charges as much as 120fps.

One hallmark of Micro LED shows is their tiled building. An entire display screen consists of many tiles or modules linked collectively, so the remaining display screen will be nearly any dimension. Amazingly, the seams between tiles are utterly invisible most of the time. They will be seen—barely—below sure situations, resembling when the display is turned off and vivid lights are shining on it, however I’ve by no means seen them when watching video content material.

Each Sony CLED tile, dubbed ZRD-2, measures about 16 x 18 x four inches (WxHxD) and homes 320 x 360 pixels with a pixel pitch of 1.26mm. The tiles are mounted in a bigger body and laser-aligned to kind a steady, seamless display screen.


The ZRD-2 module is the constructing block for CLED screens of primarily any dimension.

Because the pixel pitch is mounted, the remaining decision relies upon on what number of tiles are used—in different phrases, the bigger the display screen, the larger the decision. The headquarters…


Have a comment? Type it below!