Article by Eddy Han, Country General Manager of ShopBack Malaysia:
Alibaba rewrites the history again with an outstanding result – USD 38.4 billion of sales on 11/11/2019, around a 26% increase from the previous year according to its news hub Alizila. The first billion was clocked in just 1 minute and 8 seconds.
Back to Southeast Asia and Taiwan, based on ShopBack’s regional data*, millions of bargain hunters from Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, and the Philippines rushed to snap the best deals when the clocks ticks 00.00 on 11/11/2019 (peak shopping hour 12.00 am – 1.00 am), while Taiwanese shoppers were found most active in the last hour (11.00 pm – 12.00 am) and online shoppers Indonesia shopped the most between 10.00 pm – 11.00 pm, to make sure they check-out their items before the end of the annual Global Shopping Festival.
(*Data gathered in six countries: Singapore, Malaysia, the Philippines, Indonesia, Thailand and Taiwan)
As the leading one-stop rewards platform in the APAC, ShopBack partners with more than 2000 e-merchants regionally to reward cashback to online shoppers when they go through ShopBack application or website to make purchases. The list of e-merchants includes Lazada, Shopee, Alibaba’s group Taobao, Tmall and AliExpress, as well as Agoda, Booking.com, etc.
In Malaysia alone, ShopBack works with over 500 locally available e-merchants, including eWallet providers TnG eWallet and Boost eWallet to give up to 30% cashback to users. Besides getting cashback from making purchases with ShopBack’s partner merchants, users are also getting cashback when they reload money to TnG eWallet, or when they choose Boost eWallet as their preferred payment method when they shop online.
We studied the preliminary results we compiled from over 13 million of shoppers regionally (more than 2 million in Malaysia) and found:
11.11 (full day) preliminary data:
Malaysia has the strongest performance in terms of shopping traffic and numbers of orders this year
- Among six countries, Malaysia ranks no.1 in terms of the volume of shopping traffic (web + app), followed by Thailand and the Philippines. For Malaysia, the online shopping traffic on 11/11/2019 is more than 10 times higher than 11/11/2018.
- On a regional level, around 90% of the shopping traffic are coming from the app. Below is an estimation of app VS web shopping traffic ratio of each country :
|App (%)||Web (%)|
- Malaysian shoppers made the highest number of orders yesterday – on average, over 6,000 users were making at least 1 order via ShopBack Malaysia in every hour and that’s at least 5 times of our usual performance (versus a normal day in November) and 3 times of last year’s November 11th. Malaysia topped the chart with over 100 orders made per minute, followed by Indonesia with over 90 orders made per minute, and Thailand over 80 orders made per minute.
- We recorded over 80% of growth in terms of sales powered by ShopBack Malaysia for our partner e-merchants on 11/11/2019, compared to last year’s November 11th. It is estimated that ShopBack Malaysia users have spent around RM20 million for online shopping yesterday.
Malaysia shopped the most right after midnight, top spender in Malaysia made more than RM30K worth of orders at Lenovo
- The most popular shopping time belt is 12.00 am – 1.00 am – a phenomenon encouraged by the exclusive midnight vouchers and discounted deals which is largely popularised by Alibaba’s Taobao and Lazada. Below is the peak shopping hours for each country:
|Malaysia||12.00 am – 1.00 am||10.00 pm – 11.00 pm|
|Singapore||12.00 am – 1.00 am||11.00 pm – 12.00 am|
|The Philippines||12.00 am – 1.00 am||9.00 am – 10.00 am|
|Indonesia||10.00 pm – 11.00 pm||12.00 am – 1.00 am|
|Thailand||12.00 am – 1.00 am||11.00 am – 12.00 pm|
|Taiwan||11.00 pm – 12.00 am||10.00 pm – 11.00 pm|
- The top 3 popular stores in Malaysia are Lazada, Shopee, and Taobao, where we observe around 4-7 times higher volume of shopping traffic flocked to these stores yesterday compared to an average day in November. On the regional level, both Lazada and Shopee appear in the top 3 stores for each country:
|Top stores (not in order)|
|Malaysia||Lazada, Shopee, Taobao|
|Singapore||Lazada, Shopee, Qoo10|
|The Philippines||Lazada, Shopee, ZALORA|
|Indonesia||Lazada, Shopee, Blibli|
|Thailand||Lazada, Shopee, JD Central|
|Taiwan||Taobao, Shopee, PChome|
- The top 3 leading categories in Malaysia are Online Marketplace, eWallet, as well as Fashion & Beauty. ShopBack Malaysia is the first within its APAC countries to provide cashback to eWallet users when they reload or use it to make payments. We believe this help to boost our shopping traffic and a large contributor to our orders volume yesterday.
- The average spending per Malaysian user is around RM217 and the top spender in Malaysia made more than RM30,000 worth of orders with Lenovo via ShopBack. It is expected that he will receive more than RM4,500 in cashback with 14% upsized cashback offer on 11/11/2019, after his order gets validated by the partner e-merchant.
Currently, over 2 million shoppers go through ShopBack web or app before they start their shopping journey. The cashback earned by online shoppers can be withdrawn to their bank account where the top user in Malaysia has got more than RM 30,000 lifetime cashback saved in his account.
Last year on the 11th of November 2018, around RM 11 million worth of sales were made through ShopBack Malaysia in just one day. This year, we are thrilled to surpass last year’s record and achieve RM20 million (in terms of sales powered by ShopBack Malaysia for our partner e-merchants) – over 80% of growth – in just November 11th alone.
However, please note this is a rough calculation as of 12/11/2019 midnight and there might be some changes in the final number.